Modify Your EC2 Instance Volume Size (both windows and linux)
Amazon EBS volumes
An Amazon EBS volume is a durable, block-level storage device that you can attach to your instances. After you attach a volume to an instance, you can use it as you would use a physical hard drive. EBS volumes are flexible.
- You can increse or decrese the size of a volume.also you can attach and deatch the volume. so that you can simply add the many volumes to once instance.
Here i am going to explain how to Increse the volume size in WIndows and Linux ec2 instances.
1.Resize your EBS volume size for the Linux EC2 instance
- Below images show my Linux instance and its volume size.it have 8 GB of space.
- I am showing the volume size and available space inside the linux os using df -h command
- This volume have 8GB of total spcae ,used space is 1 Db then available space is 6GB
- Select the ec2 instacne which you want modify the volume size and going to select storage section and choose which volume you are going to modify.
- Select the volume and modify
- Provide the new volume size and modify
- It will take some time to modify the instance volume size.
- After getting the in-use action getting as green color you modification is done.
- Now we are going to check the volume size inside the Linux OS.
See now the size has been changed.
Total volume size = 16 GB
Used size = 1 GB
Available space = 14 GB
2.Resize your EBS volume size for the Windows EC2 Instance
Do the Same steps which we have done for linux
- This windows instance volume have 30GB of total spcae . we are going to modify the volume size.just select the volume.
Select the volume and modify
Provide the new volume size and modify
- After getting the in use as green color you modification is done.
After increase the volume size we must want to login to the windows instance via rdp.
- Open diskmanagement console
- To extend the disk space in drive right click on the newly allocated space and select extend volume.
Now our Volume size is increased inside the os.
Did you find this article valuable?
Support Venketraman by becoming a sponsor. Any amount is appreciated!